Hello everyone. This is Jake… aka the guy who walks Chilly. This past week we lost Chilly to the cancer that had been invading his body since April…. he lasted way longer than we thought, but way shorter than we hoped.
Looking back on the life we had with Chilly, who spent over 8 years with us and several before we met (he was a rescue), it has been a wild and wonderful ride.
Here are several of the highlights – in no particular order…
1. His marriage to Baby Hope in the Guinness Book of World Records Most Expensive Pet Wedding. CRAZY experience in NYC with my family and Chilly’s new family. My daughter now knows her wedding will be nowhere near as nice/fancy as her dog’s and my son had to wear a tuxedo for the first time in his life.. at the tender age of 7.
2. Visiting Newtown, CT the week after the shooting… visiting with the police department… and spending time in the town square comforting families as 3 funerals were happening for elementary school students.
3. Spending time and giving reassurance to thousands of clients of Helping Hands while they have been waiting for their pets (family members) undergoing recovery…
4. Visiting over 500 veterinary hospitals, spreading HH’s mission, and bringing joy/happiness to our partners.
5. Our favorite breweries and hangouts… Chilly almost had a beer named after him (in a live auction benefitting Fetch-A-Cure)…. thank you Final Gravity, Veil Brewing Co., Hardywood, and Ardent!… Still waiting for a dedicated beer… hint hint 🙂
6. Chilly spent time with my grandmother in hospice, as he had with many other families.
Basically, everyone who spent time with Chilly came away with a better balance in life…
To honor his memory, I would encourage you to take one of these steps, if it is within your means:
- Rescue a pet
- Do a random act of kindness
- Tell someone with a pet about Helping Hands
- If you live in the Richmond area, please consider donating to one of these two non-profits:
- If you live outside of the Richmond area, please consider donating to a local rescue group in your area.
Thank you to everyone for giving Chilly your love over the years…. my family, my Helping Hands family and Chilly have really appreciated it.